Coleslaw Salad made in just 5 minutes with the perfect homemade dressing, this is the best side for summer because it gets even better the next day. Perfect for barbecues and planning ahead.
Why buy a pre-mashed coleslaw mix? The time it takes to chop up the leftover cabbage more makes it easy to switch. Additionally, for some reason, we found that buying all of the vegetables cost almost twice as much as buying the pre-shredded bag. It shouldn’t take more than a few minutes to put your barbecue morning together.
This recipe takes about five minutes but one of the most significant things about ColeSlaw is to let it sit so the dressing can soften the crunch of the cabbage.
One this classic coleslaw salad recipe is an easy and perfect grilled side dish, instead of spending $ 4 a pound on coleslaw at the grocery store that could have been there for a week, you can make it at home and with ingredients you can control.
If you speak to the deli manager at your local grocery store, they will likely tell you that the coleslaw comes pre-made or comes in two pieces, mixed and presented. Here is the way to have fresh coleslaw without adding any preservatives, Can be found in packaged coleslaw dressings.
Ingredients for ColeSlaw Salad
- 14 ounces coleslaw mixture with red cabbage and carrots
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
Tips for healthy coleslaw preparation
Put the mayonnaise, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, salt, and pepper in a bowl for mixing then mix them until everything is well mixed.
- Add the coleslaw mixture and stir well.
- Make it Chill for a minimum of 2 -3 hours before serving.
It’s easier to cut cabbage on a mandolin than it is with a sharp knife, but it’s certainly doable. Be careful either way. If you’re in a hurry, purchase a 12-ounce bag of pre-shredded cabbage mix from the store.
For the nicest grated carrots, use a julienne peeler or a spiral cutter; if you don’t have any of these, a simple box grater or the attachment on your food processor should work just fine. Grab a bag of grated carrots at the grocery store
Lastly, you can use three-quarters of a cup of mixed seeds here, but you could definitely get by with less. Whatever seeds you use and however much you use don’t skip the roasting step! These little seeds because can be roasted too in the blink of an eye.
- Serving: Before serving, chill for at least 4 hours, serve cold and not leave to rest for more than 2 hours.
- Storage: Cole Slaw can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week. If it starts to crumble, add more coleslaw to keep it fresh longer
- Freezing: Coleslaw doesn’t freeze well, so throw it away and make a new batch if necessary.